Isopropyl Alcohol

Cas No: 67-63-0           
EINESC No: 200-661-7
Molecular weight: 60.096 g/mol  

Chemical Formula: C3H8O
Chemical Structure:

Physical Properties

General Properties: Colorless liquiid

Odor: Strong, spirituous

Intensity: 0,786 g/cm3

Boiling point: 82.6 °C

Melting point: -89 °C

Flash point: 11.7 °C (open container) 13°C (closed container)

Vapor pressure: 4,1 kPa

Refraction index: 1,3776 nD

Solubility : Completely soluble

General Properties

Isopropyl alcohol, or IPA, is a colorless, flammable liquid that has a strong scent. It is the simplest member of secondary alcohols. It is used in the production of many different chemicals. It is commonly used as a component for detergents, antiseptics, disinfectants as it vaporizes rapidly. It dissolves many fat, resins and alkaloids. Oppose to ethyl and methyl alcohol, it does not mix with salt solutions. It forms a azeotrop with water and its taste is slightly bitter. It is non-potable.


Isopropyl is one of the most produced chemicals in alcohol business. It can be produced from hydration reaction of water and propane or hydrogenization of acetone. After hydration, it can be seperated from water via distillation.


Isopropyl alcohol can be used in many different fields, both domestic and industrially. It is commonly used as solvent. It dissolves many non-polar compounds. It vaporizes rapidly and leaves little to no traces. It is used as cleaner in many fields as it has less toxicity than other solvents.

It ıs used as disinfectant in medical fields. It had been used as anaesthesia in early times but it was cancelled after it proved to be hazardous.

Isopropyl is also used as fuel additive to prevent water from dissolving in gasoline as water can damage systems when it dissolves from gasoline. It is also a commonly used intermediate reactive in chemistry industry.

Safety Measures and Toxic Values

While in alcohol gas form, isopropyl has higher intensity than air and it may be explosive in 2-12,7% mixtures with air. Therefore, it must be kept away from direct fire.

Isopropyl alcohol can be absorbed through skin and it is metabolized to acetone in body. It may cause vomiting, headache, shortness of breath, sensation loss, low blood pressure and even coma. When exposed in high doses, it causes a fruity scent in breath as it transforms into acetone in body. If it contacts with eyes, it may cause permanent injuries.

It has lower toxicity compared to methanol and ethylene glycol and its treatments often yields positive results.